From Issue: 466 [Read full issue]
Mental Preparation before the Prayer
- The planning of your daily activities should revolve around the five daily
Salah. Do not plan everything else and then try to fit Prayer into your
busy schedule. Allah deserves a greater place in our lives than that!
- Ensure that you are conversant with all the rules and regulations
governing your Prayer. Research in depth the Quranic verses and
ahadith relating to the virtues of Salah. Uncertainty in how to perform
one's prayer perfectly is a major cause of distraction.
- Be punctual with your Prayer. Get into the habit of praying at the
earliest hour. Do not procrastinate. The Prophet said, "The deed most
loved by Allah is Prayer performed on time." (Muslim) and "only the
hypocrites intentionally delay their prayers"!
- Pray as much of your obligatory Salah in congregation as is possible. This is not 'just a good thing' but an obligation on every Muslim male. According to the Prophet, if we knew the good in praying in jama'ah we
would not miss it even if we had to crawl to the masjid!
- Avoid praying in a state in which you are mentally and physically
- Keep your mind free of worldly worries, evil thoughts, and ideas.
- Plan what verses/duas you are going to recite.
- If you do not understand Arabic learn the meaning of what you recite in your Prayer.
- Remind yourself that engaging in Prayer offers you an opportunity to
release yourself from the tensions of this world. The Prophet has said
that in Prayer was placed the comfort of his eyes. Therefore cherish the
opportunity to remove the burdens of this world from your shoulders.
- Use your Prayer to remain focused on your mission in life, which is to bring your entire being to serve only Allah.
- Use your Prayer as a source of strength, inspiration and enthusiasm for your life and activities.
"Salah - The State of Mind" - Young Muslims Publications. Please help distribute