Issue 112 » April 5, 2001 -
"And when they tasted of the tree, their shame became visible to them, and both began to cover themselves with leaves from the Garden."
[Al-Quran- Sura Al-Araf 7:22]
MODESTY AND BASHFULNESS ARE INHERENT IN HUMAN NATURE
- The primary manifestation of this instinct is seen in the sense of shame that one feels when one is required to expose the private parts of one's body in the presence of others.
- According to the Quran, this bashfulness is not artificial, nor an outcome of advancement in human culture and civilization. Nor is it something acquired as some misguided thinkers contend. On the contrary, modesty has been an integral part of human nature from the very beginning.
- The sexual instincts of humans were taken by Satan as the most vulnerable aspect of human nature. Accordingly, he sought to weaken human's natural instincts of modesty and bashfulness.
- This devilish stratagem is still followed by the disciples of Satan in our time. For them, progress is inconceivable without exposing woman to the gaze of all and making her strip before others in one form or another.
- It was not any extraordinary qualities of the forbidden tree that had lead to the downfall of humans from their original state, rather it was human's disobedience to God.
- This was a way of conveying to humankind of all time that humans will enjoy God's support and protection only so long as they remain obedient to Him.
HADITH- To Soften our Hearts [Ar-Riqaaq]
Thought-provoking Bits from Islamic Literature
"Indeed, you (Muslims in the West) have only THREE possible futures. First, to be assimilated and absorbed in the secular culture here (in the West), receiving in return, a niche where you can practice your private customs and festivals. Second, to face genocide or extermin-ation, like the Muslims in Spain and Bosnia, and the Jews in Germany. And Third, to bring Islam to the West and the West to Islam. Again, the choice is yours!...
desiring to live as Muslims, do you really have
a choice? Certainly not. There is only one choice
for you and it is quite obvious.
Make a resolve today... to cry out and carry on the message of the
Prophet, salla Allahu alayhi wasallam, from every home and market square, to every man, woman and child, so that they may live in true submission to their Lord..."
Etiquettes & Importance of Celebrations in Islam